OCD-6 extends aid to Antique typhoon victims

The Office of Civil Defense, through its regional information officer Cindy Ferrer (2nd from right), turns over 300 sacks of rice to Noemi Tagle of the provincial social welfare and development office (2nd from left) on Jan. 2. The rice stocks will serve as assistance for the victims of typhoon “Ursula” in Antique. OCD-6

SAN JOSE, Antique – The Office of Civil Defense in Western Visayas (OCD-6) has recently extended its assistance to the victims of typhoon “Ursula” in this province, which is under a state of calamity.

OCD-6 information officer Cindy Ferrer said the assistance was meant for the families who were affected by the typhoon on Dec. 25.

Ferrer led the turnover of around 300 sacks of rice to the provincial government here on Jan. 2.

“The sacks of rice that had been purchased by the OCD from the National Food Authority (NFA)-Antique provincial office could be withdrawn by the provincial government from the NFA warehouse any time now,” Ferrer added.

She said the provincial government, with the provincial social welfare and development office, will distribute the rice to displaced families in the towns of Libertad, Pandan, Caluya, and Sebaste.

Aside from rice, the OCD-6 also provided an initial 300 shelter repair kits that will be used for fixing damaged houses.

“The repair kit is composed of a piece of pick mattock, shovel, hand saw, hammer, crowbar, sledgehammer, snip, rope, bolo, and other tools,” Ferrer said.

Typhoon “Ursula” destroyed around 1,709 houses in the province and damaged an estimated 11,799 houses in the towns of Libertad, Pandan, Caluya, and Sebaste. It affected around 14,118 families.(With a report from PNA/PN)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here