Official involved in Escalante robbery?

By CYRUS M. GARDE

BACOLOD City — A local government official was allegedly involved in the robbery of P2 million worth of cash and checks in the City Treasurer’s Office in the Escalante city hall last month.

This is why the police have not yet filed any case, some sectors in Escalante said.

“There is a cover-up,” claimed Ricky Cabahug, a local broadcaster and resident of the city.

Supt. Leo Batiles, Escalante police chief, previously claimed they have already identified the suspect.

“If (the suspect) will not admit openly, we will file the charges based on the witnesses’ testimonies and circumstantial evidence,” he said.

Batiles said they believe the robbery on July 13 was an inside job.

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is now investigating the incident.

Several Escalante city hall employees will undergo polygraph test, NBI–Bacolod head Joseph Rigodon said.

No case has been filed yet due to lack of evidence, said Rigodon.

On July 17, 11 checks worth P740,830 that were among those stolen from the city hall were recovered in Sitio Barka, Barangay Jonob-Jonob, Escalante City./PN