Rebel surrenders to Army’s 61st Infantry Battalion

ILOILO – A member of the New People’s Army (NPA) voluntarily surrendered to the Philippine Army’s 61st Infantry Battalion (61IB) on Tuesday, April 1, at Camp Monteclaro, Barangay Igtuba, Miag-ao town.

The surrendering individual, identified as “Dante”, 31, a former member of the Regional Sentro de Gravidad, Madia-as Platoon, Komiteng Rehiyon-Panay (KR-P), also turned over an M16 rifle, a magazine, and 20 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition.

“Dante” shared that he had been involved with the NPA for nearly a decade, having been recruited at the age of 21. He said he was lured into the group in 2015 with promises of livelihood and financial support.

After his training that year, he became a full-time NPA member in charge of managing supplies and logistics acquired through extortion.

His decision to surrender follows in the footsteps of his brother, “Larry”, who was also part of the organization but left the armed struggle in 2014.

“Larry” later persuaded “Dante” to abandon the movement and take advantage of government reintegration programs.

Major General Michael Samson, commander of the 3rd Infantry (Spearhead) Division (3ID), commended the 61IB and the police for their joint efforts in securing Dante’s surrender. He urged remaining communist rebels to lay down their arms and return to the fold of the law, emphasizing that the brothers’ story proves a peaceful and productive life is achievable.

“The decision of ‘Dante’ and his brother, ‘Larry’, to leave violence behind is a positive change for themselves, their families, and their communities. I hope their example inspires others to choose peace. Government programs like E-CLIP and the Amnesty Program will support their reintegration into society,” Samson said./PN

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here